Wednesday, September 18, 2013

It is 9:27 PM. Have I thought of anything else to say? Not really. There is the eternal annoyance that female video game characters come in three flavors: Madonna/Whore/Dude with Tits.

I swear, if I have to hear Yuna's mousy voice stuttering when faced with the big bads even though, technically, SHE HAS THE MOST KICK ASS POWERS IN ThE GAME, I'm gonna punch the screen. What is it with JRPG chicks who are totally and completely infantile both in voice and manner, even if they are the ones actually in possession of the VERY THING THAT WINDS UP SAVING THE GAME??? Argh.

Bayonetta was awesome, don't get me wrong, and the oversexualized, breasts bouncing, kiss-'o-death-Poison-Ivy-femme-fatal character can be played to great effect (especially in the case of Bayonetta or Lollipop Chainsaw, in which the character is an active parody of the femme-fatale trope), but duuuuude - boobs are not magical. They are boobs. I have yet to bring down any world power with a well-shorn shirt and a peek-a-boo bra.

(Maybe I'm just doing it wrong?)

And dude with tits. Classical example, my beloved Femshep. I love her. I adore her. I am so attached to her that I think the Japanese might be onto something when they marry their video game characters. But even I have to acquiesce to the fact that choosing to play as a female in this game does not at all influence the story outside of romantic choices. (Okay, granted, given Bioware's total lack of finishing the game in anything other than a "Uh, what?" fashion, NOTHING really influences the end story, but that's a whole 'nother rant for another time.)

This particular rant has the potential to be the start of a really good deconstruction of chicks in games. Not like there aren't hundreds of them anyways, but it'd be one I wrote, so it'd obviously be cooler. I'll have to come back to this.

Also heard this lyric on the radio: "I ain't never met nobody like you." Is that a triple negative? Quadrupable? Is it enough to completely boomerang the sentence back to its original meaning?

I need to get the boyfriend playing a different game. Argh!




No comments:

Post a Comment