Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Silver shoes sounds more magical anyways

Though the memory is dim at the moment (washed away by rain? How cliche can we get concerning the flooded conditions of the road?) I am at the point where Dorothy finds out the truth of the Golden Cap (Cup?) from the monkey beasts. It's odd, that a girl so involved with fantastical things would think such a gilded item would be normal, but she's Dorothy, so it's forgivable.

My favorite part of the book has been any part that diverges from the movie - of which there is plenty that does so. I was initially worried the book would be rote recitation. It is not. Silver shoes, Aunty Em being somewhat of a bitch (I don't much like kids, either, but I'm not about to cover my ears when they laugh), and the curse of the Tinman was wonderfully morbid. The book explains the field of poppies much better than the movie did.

I wonder if herion/opium use was a national epidemic at the time, thus prompting the dangerous field of them? Societal issues usually find their way into popular media and this book (I think?) was quite popular in its time.

Spellcheck is being fussy. That or else it has been overwhelmed by the horrid nature of my spelling and has simply thrown its hands up going "Idk, wtf???"

No comments:

Post a Comment